Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Custom Fit



Custom Fit






Many of you have heard of Custom Fit by Amy Herzog. For those of you that are not familiar with Custom Fit, it is a program to create a pattern to fit YOUR body!!!  It's like having a custom tailor for all of your sweater needs! I am doing a test drive to see how it works.

First comes measuring yourself. We are not talking bust, waist, and hips. Amy has you take 22 different measurements from your body!!! Yes…you heard correct 22!! I highly recommend wearing exercise clothes or something close to the body to get accurate measurements.  I also recommend a friend to assist you. As a Custom Fit yarn shop, we would provide this service to you, to help you get the most accurate measurements and ensure the best fit. 

Secondly, SWATCHING!!  I know most knitters like to skip this step, but the key to a well-fitting garment is knowing the exact final measurements. Amy not only needs you to knit a swatch, it needs to be not 2”, not 4”, but a whopping 6” swatch in the pattern stitch of your choice. 

My Custom Fit dashboard for Swatches!
I chose to knit a swatch out of Zitron’s Patina, a shiny, versatile, single-ply blend of merino and rayon:



I chose classic stockinette stitch plus a garter stitch border around, but you can choose literally any stitch pattern that catches your fancy!


Third, BLOCKING. Amy suggests blocking the swatch the way you are going to care for your sweater.  This is also a critical step to gauge and fit. I put my swatch in my washing machine under the hand wash cycle then pinned it out to dry.

Fourth, designing your very own, custom fit sweater!! I input all my numbers and answer questions about what type of sweater I would like to knit up. Magically a Custom Fit pattern is created for YOUR BODY!!!

My Custom Fit dashboard for Patterns!


So we would like to know if this is a program you would like to see us offer to you, our customer?  Leave a comment and let us know what you think!

I have started my Custom Fit sweater and I will update you on the progress!

Happy Knitting
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment